Rotorua Golf Club - Arikikapakapa

 

Rotorua Golf Club
Golf Club Rotorua
Golf Course Rotorua

Rotorua Golf Club History

The first recording of golf in Rotorua dates back to 1902 when a recording was made in the record of the New Zealand Parliament that
‘Golf links will undoubtedly prove a source of pleasure to the many visitors and enquiries are being made with a view of establishing them’.

From this beginning golf was played on a casual basis at various venues in and around the then small town of Rotorua, New Zealand. It was not until 1906 that the Rotorua Golf Club came to life and has continued strongly to this day. The early years saw the club have three different homes in quick succession until finally arriving at Arikikapakapa Reserve in 1912.

The Reserve had been gifted to the Crown, along with other Reserves in the growing town, by the representative of Ngati Whakaue. Arikikapakapa Reserve was especially set aside ‘for recreation and the medicinal use of hot springs’.

The Rotorua Golf Club has long recognised two crucial points:

• That the club is nothing without the course and expenditure on the course is always a priority.

• Our unique terrain and thermal features have delivered a wonderful opportunity to create an extraordinary playing venue.

Arawa Street Rotorua Golf Club HistorySignificant Happenings

1912

9 holes open for play


1918

18 holes now open


1923

First Triplex mower purchased


1927

First Secretary/Treasurer employed


1928

First Professional appointed


1930

Course water reticulation scheme completed

New clubhouse completed


1935

American professional golfer, Gene Sarazen plays Arikikapakapa


1944

Club acquires additional land from Whakarewarewa Native School


1956

Discussions commence to combine men and ladies clubs – finally completed in 1990


1970

9 hole Thermal Course opened


1994-99

Club reconstructs all greens and bunkers


1999

New 14th green opened – becoming the signature hole for the course


2010

New 16th green opened which lengthened the hole


2011

Ladies Tee at the 17th hole opened


2012

New paths to Men’s and Ladies Tees completed